Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Could you imagine writing this

 How to make baked potatoes

I knew absolutely nothing about the glories of a good baked potato until the day I ordered one at a local restaurant in my town that was known for them. Before that, my primary “baked” potato experience involved a microwave. What I tasted was so revelatory I still remember it: ridiculously crisp on the outside and oh so fluffy inside. I realized what we’d been doing at home was very, very wrong.

The potatoes I grew up with at home came with damp skins and gluey innards, thanks to the microwave. I started baking them in the oven and they were much better. But I still couldn’t get them as perfect as the one I had from that tiny New England restaurant. Then I learned a few tips from old England — specifically, I learned about jacket potatoes.

What a fucking retard!

I make the best baked potatoes asshole.

I'm nominally an American so the best baked potatoes are American you fucktard.

You rub Crisco on the skins then roll them in kosher salt then wrap your taters in foil and throw them on the coals turn every 10 mins till cooked.

Mine usually take about 1 hr.

There crisp skin and the potato gets carmelized right under the skin with a hint of smokiness.

It really is beautiful.

I can't wait for a 500 word article about how the Chinese boil the best water.

I also make the best steaks!

I really am the best.

That is all.


8 comments:

  1. No, no, no. Never use Crisco--that stuff's shortening--it says so on the label--& I'm not hung like a horse to begin with.
    Lard, brother. Never allow Crisco on your property.
    --Tennessee Budd

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cook my taters on the coals wrapped in foil too, but I rub them in Olive Oil. I'll give the salt a try next time

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading the linked article and seeing the authors bio, I have to wonder what kind of education she had received prior that she didn't know how to bake a potato.

    "Sheela received her master's degree from the University of Gastronomic Sciences in Italy and is also a Registered Dietitian."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every day I see proof we are getting progressively dumber as a race. Potatoes cooked slow over heat is always better. Same with sweet potatoes. It's not internal temp, it's time in the heat.

    I see stupidity like this at least once a month. This month it was the son's useless wallsmash girfriend that had a birthday BBQ for the boy. 8 burgers, 8 ears of corn, three onions, pack of dogs, and a few dozen chicken wings.

    She had a weber mini kettle, a firepit with a small grate with spaces too wide to cook, and half a bag of charcoal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also make the best steaks!

    I really am the best.
    Yes Bubba, I concede.
    I am too lazy to start a fire to bake taters. I use the toaster oven, and smear them with butter, then foil.
    If I am making tater salad, I let them cool to room temp, then pop in fridge overnight.
    Nice cold baked taters for salad. A few hard boiled eggs, some pickle relish, maybe a smidge of green pepper or celery, and the line starts outside after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds delish I've been thinking a long time bout that very tater salad

      Delete